Our 8 Guidelines
These are the points that all new cats need to identify with, otherwise, community living might be cat-astrophic. Can we say meow to that?
- Respect: I wholeheartedly commit to respect other people; their differences, their views, spirituality, origins, backgrounds, issues and their property. I will show respect and care for the environment, striving to minimize my negative impact. I agree to respect communal areas and other people’s working areas, to leave beauty and order around me.
- Non-Violence: I will not forcefully inflict my attitudes or desires (including sexual) on others. I agree to step in and stop, or at least say that I would like to have it stopped, actions (including manipulation or intimidation) that I feel may be abusive to myself or others in the community. I will strive to keep the atmosphere peaceful.
- Communication: I will be clear and honest in my communication and open-hearted in my listening. I will not speak in a way that maligns or demeans others and myself, In public and in private. I will talk to people rather than about them. I commit to have clear communication when I take part in a project, about my work and presence.
- Co-operation: I recognise that I live in a community and that it functions only through my co-operation and my good communication. I agree to communicate my decisions clearly to those who may be affected and to consider their views carefully and respectfully. I recognize that others may make decisions which affect me and I agree to respect the care, integrity and wisdom that they have put into their decision-making process.
- Reflection: I recognise that what I see outside myself—any criticism irritation or appreciation—may also be a reflection of what is inside me. I am willing to look at this within myself before reflecting it onto others.
- Responsibility: I take responsibility for my actions, my mistakes and for any spiritual, environmental and human effects these might have. I am willing to listen to constructive criticism and to offer constructive feedback to others in a caring and appropriate fashion. I am willing to take action to resolve conflicts and to make amends when my actions have hurt others. I will take responsibility for any material damage that my doing has caused.
- Agreements: I commit to keeping agreements I have made and to not break or try to evade any laws, rules, or guidelines; to have honest dealings with all bodies and to pay all charges and dues owing.
- Wellbeing: I agree to be aware about my level of comfort, health and happiness and I also take into consideration the other’s state of well-being. I also recognize that I need my personal space and free time, and accordingly do what is best for my personal growth and condition.
These policies are unbreakable rules. If sadly broken, the cats are crossing boundaries, we might gently ask to part ways.
- No meat and fish in community spaces.
- Soberness (alcohol is only allowed after 7 pm and only in moderate quantities).
- Any kind of violence or stealth is not tolerated.
Every limit crossed is followed by mediation.